Sunday, December 15, 2013

If Shua won the Mega Millions.......

     I had the opportunity to take an extensively long nap, and in my dream, I had the winning ticket to the Mega Millions $500 million jackpot!  Congratulations Shua!  What are you going to do with all that money?!  This is my plan;

     First of all, I'll go ahead and take the lump sum over the annuity, so after taxes, that would be $270,238,100.00 up front.  Here you go Mom and Dad, here's $70 million to help you retire, disperse throughout the family, and make sure that we will have money for forever!  Then, after my date with Eva Green and Anne Hathaway, it's time to get down to business.  I'm going to go ahead and buy a large portion of the Colorado Rockies and turn them into yearly contenders.
     Over the last 20 years, I have been apart of so much of their history, I was at the first ever home game, I was at the game when they clinched the pennant, I was there for Mike Hampton's 2 home runs, I was even at game 4 in 2007 to watch Boston celebrate on our field.  It is a fact that the Yankees are my favorite team, but there is a special place in my heart for the Rockies.  They're my hometown team, and really the only team that I will ever root for in the National League.  And if the Yankees and Rockies play in the World Series, I'll be pulling for the Rox.
     So, with that aside, I'm taking my $200 million left over, and I am going to turn the Rockies into serious contenders.  With quite a few of the free agents already taken, here's what I would do:
They already signed relief pitcher Boone Logan, that's a good start for the bullpen, and already picked up first basemen Justin Morneau.  These are moves that I would have done, but since the Rox already made them, this will save me some money.
     First, bring back Ubaldo Jimenez.  We should have never traded him away, and he is familiar with Coors field.  We have the money now, so let's give him a 4 year, $40 million dollar contract ($10 mm per yr.).  Then go get Francisco Rodriguez, and put him in a middle relief role, at a 2 years $8 million contract.  This would put Juan Nicasio, or Tyler Chatwood into the bullpen, and give us some good strong depth there.
     Now, let's get some fielding help.  I don't agree with trading Dexter Fowler, but what's done is done.  So let's get the best available outfielder, Shinn Soo Choo.  He's been waiting this long in free agency, so he may take a bit of a smaller contract than what he was first asking for.  At 31, we won't commit too long, but should still be able to get good production out of him, so let's do a 4 year, $55 million deal with him, about $13.5 mm a year.  Now that we have our outfield taken care of, let's plug that hole at 2B, and sign IF Stephan Drew.  With Morneau signing a 3 year deal, we should give him a 4 year, $40 million contract.  Now just sign a couple of key bench players, like catcher Kurt Suzuki, and OF Grady Sizemore to help with veteran presence and leadership.
     Boom!  There we go!  With some of the remaining money, invest in a top quality training staff to keep the players healthy all year long, so that would cost around $3 million dollars.  Total, that's about $160 million dollars to add to Colorado's salary, which is now only at about $85 million.  Then we would have a good mix of free agent acquisitions, and farm talent that should take us to the top of the division.
     Sure, some will argue that paying for top free agents may not be the way to go, but look at the top teams of the past 20 years, the Yankees, the Cardinals, the Phillies, the Red Sox.  If you do want to be successful in Major League Baseball, you will need to spend some money.
Here's the lineup under Shua's management:

Starting Line-up
1. Stephan Drew 2B
2. Shinn Soo Choo LF
3. Carlos Gonzalez CF
4. Troy Tulowitzki SS
5. Michael Cuddayer RF
6. Willian Rosario C
7. Nelson Arenado 3B
8. Justin Morneau 1B
9. Pitcher

Utillity Men
C Kurt Suzuki
OF Chris Dickerson
OF Grady Sizemore
IF/OF Tyler Colvin
IF Jordan Pacheco
IF Jonathon Herrera


Pitching Staff
SP Jorge DeLaRosa
SP Ubaldo Jimenez
SP Jhoulys Chachin
SP Brett Andersen
SP Tyler Chatwood

RP Boone Logan
RP Francisco Rodriguez
RP Juan Nicasio
RP Raphael Betancourt
RP Jeremy Butler

No comments:

Post a Comment